PDIC

Filming for the first season begins in October and will extend until February. >Courtesy

Puerto Rico is the destination selected by the international production studio Universal Television in association with ABC Studios and Keshet Studios to film the new series "The Baker and the Beauty" for ABC Network. This represents approximately an investment of $57 million on the island.

"This is great news for local talents who work in film, tourism, the hotel industry, and for many other economic sectors. The series will create about 1,688 direct jobs and about 1,200 hotel nights will be reserved. Of the private investment estimated at $57 million, approximately $44 million will be paid to entities and individuals residing in Puerto Rico," Gov. Wanda Vázquez said via press release.

Moreover, the secretary of the Department of Economic Development (DDEC), Manuel A. Laboy stated, "once again we show that the film industry of Puerto Rico is of the highest quality and has a workforce of excellence. We will continue to support local and foreign productions, which help us to promote ourselves as an investment destination."

Laboy informed that for this production the DDEC's Film Industry Program (PDIC by its Spanish acronym) granted a tax credit of 40 percent of the budget of the projected expenditure on the island, under the decree of the Law of Economic Incentives the Industry Film of Puerto Rico, to encourage the filming of this production.

Puerto Rico's Incentives Code "allows film projects to have access to a tax credit of up to 40 percent and an additional 15 percent is added subject to compliance with various parameters related to residents, for a total of 55 percent of resident expenses, plus 20 percent in payments to non-residents," the official said.

For his part, PDIC Director Pedro Piquer Henn affirmed that this project introduces a great return of investment for the local government, adding that this is the type of project that the program aims to attract, "because they are projects that create many jobs for longer periods of time and have a high probability of extending the project for future seasons."

"We hope that this is the beginning of a lasting relation between Universal Television and Puerto Rico," Piquer Henn said.

The president of Universal Television, Pearlena Igbokwe, said that the network is "very proud" and "eager" to produce in Puerto Rico. According to Igbokwe, the network has had a "long history" of investing in Puerto Rico on film and television productions, praising local talent, equipment and hospitality.

"The Baker and the Beauty" is a dramatic series based on an Israeli series created by Assi Azar for Keshet Broadcasting. It tells the story of a man (played by Daniel García) who works in the bakery of his Cuban family, but on a "crazy night" in Miami he meets an international fashion superstar (played by Nathalie Kelley) and his life is made public. Carlos Gómez, Lisa Vidal, Dan Bucatinsky, Belissa Escobedo, Michelle Veitimilla, and David del Río are also part of the cast.

Dean Georgaris wrote the American adaptation of "The Baker and the Beauty" and produces it with Becky Hartman Edwards and director David Frankel. Avi Nir, Alon Shtruzman, Peter Traugott, and Rachel Kaplan of Keshet Studios are executive producers, along with Assi Azar. the filming for this first season will take place from October until the end of February 2020.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.